Business Energy Savings - FAQ

FAQ Business Energy Savings

Everything you need to know about Business Energy Savings.

What products will be rebated? Toggle content

Please see the Eligible Prescriptive Measures List for the full index of products that are currently eligible for rebates.

I own a small business. How do I know which products to buy? Toggle content

Energy Efficiency Alberta will be working with contractors and distributors throughout the Province to inform them of the eligible products for the program. We recommend speaking with a local contractor and they should be able to help you. If you don’t have a contractor, we recommend getting at least three quotes from different contractors.

Please contact program representatives by email for additional support.

Am I going to need to purchase a certain product brand or can I purchase any product brand? Toggle content

The current list of eligible products is available here. We are working diligently to ensure that the program is brand-neutral, however, there may be additional technical requirements to ensure safety and quality products for Albertans. As such, not necessarily every brand will be acceptable.

How is Energy Efficiency Alberta ensuring the quality of eligible products? Toggle content

Products must meet the Canadian Certification Standards as outlined by the Standards Council Canada for product approval, or equivalent certification by an applicable Certification body such as ULc, ETLc, CSA, etc. Please see Electrical STANDATA for additional information regarding product approvals and certification bodies. There are many energy efficient products in the market, and more are added every day. Therefore, Energy Efficiency Alberta relies on qualified third-party organizations (such as Energy Star and DLC) to ensure Albertans are getting quality products.

Please note that products must meet all program requirements, and just having DLC or Energy Star certification does not qualify a product for rebate.

What is DLC Qualified? Toggle content

Design Lights Consortium (DLC) is a third party organization that sets a globally respected standard for energy efficient lighting performance and quality. To check for a lighting product’s qualification, please search the model number on the DLC website.

What is Energy Star Qualified? Toggle content

Energy Star is a third party organization that sets a globally respected standard for performance and quality of energy efficient technology including lighting, furnaces, boilers, and water heaters. To check a product’s qualification, please search the model number on the Energy Star website.

Do I need a permit for the installation of energy efficient products? Toggle content

We provide incentives in the form of rebates to offset the cost of new equipment purchases. We are not involved in the permitting process, so please contact your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Your AHJ will be able to provide guidance on permitting requirements.

Will the program expand to include more products in the future? Toggle content

All programs are regularly evaluated to identify ways to improve program design, meet market needs and stay within budget. Changes may include revisions to processes, rebates, eligibility requirements, or eligible products. Feedback from Albertans and the industry provides a key component to the ongoing improvement of the program and toward making the province more energy efficient. We will consider all suggestions for improvements to process and additional equipment. To send your suggestions, please send us an email.

I have a product that I would like to add to the Eligible Measures List. How do I do that? Toggle content

To provide stability and consistency to the program, the eligible product list is reviewed and updated periodically. A survey will be sent out at those times to gather information about new products. Alternatively, you can email us to provide us with detailed information, preferably with a spec sheet attached, and your request will be included during the regularly scheduled reviews.


Who qualifies to participate in the program? Toggle content

The Business Energy Savings program is available to most buildings that are non-residential. This includes businesses, non-profits and institutions as well as co-operatives and the non-residential (common) areas in multi-unit residential buildings. Other examples include but are not limited to schools, hospitals, universities, and airports.

There are a few exceptions including: new construction projects, federal and provincially owned facilities, Large Final Emitters, Carbon Competitive Incentive Regulation participants and facilities with more than 10,000 tonnes of annual GHG emissions. These organizations are ineligible for Business Energy Savings. Calculate your facility’s emissions.

If you would like to clarify your facility’s eligibility, please contact us.

How do I participate in the program? Toggle content

Program participation is available through our online application portal. Pre-approval is required for all projects prior to purchase. Learn more.

Please note the post-install application process closed on July 10, 2018.

Is there a qualified contractor list? Toggle content

Participants can work with the contractor(s)/manufacturer(s)/distributor(s) of their choice to purchase and install eligible measures, however, we encourage the use of our E Pro Network members.

I’m a contractor/supplier. How do I get involved? Toggle content

All contractors and suppliers who sell/install eligible products are able to take part in Business Energy Savings. Contractors and suppliers will benefit by being informed about the rebates to help their customers identify eligible products and to generate business and increased sales. Contractors/suppliers, having in depth product knowledge, may choose to apply for the rebates on behalf of their customers.

Please see our E Pro network page for exciting opportunities for trade allies.

Note that only customers are eligible to receive rebate cheques.

I am an installer. Can I provide my customer a discount on their invoice and then collect the rebate myself? Toggle content

No. Rebate cheques will be sent directly from Energy Efficiency Alberta to the end customer (the program participant) who owns the building or leases the space in the building, and not to the installer.

We do not own our space. Can we still participate in the program? Toggle content

Yes. Building ownership is not a pre-condition for this specific program. However, renters need to ensure that the building owner approves of changes planned. The landlord or building owner must acknowledge and sign the terms and conditions for your participation.

Are multi-unit residential buildings eligible? Toggle content

Yes, multi-unit residential properties (5+ units) are eligible, but only the common areas (outdoor lighting, front entrance, halls, offices, pools, parking lots, utility rooms etc.). The in-unit component (i.e. the residences) can apply for rebates under Energy Efficiency Alberta’s residential programs and are excluded from the program.

I manage a farm/food processing plant. Are we able to participate? Toggle content

Yes, you can participate in this program. The Government of Alberta also currently offers other energy efficiency programs targeting the farming/agricultural sector.

Important: If you’ve received a rebate for products under another program you can’t also receive a rebate for the same product(s) under the Business Energy Savings program.

I represent a non-profit organization. How can we participate? Toggle content

The process for participation for non-profits is the same as for businesses and institutions. A non-profit can contact a local installer or supplier to purchase eligible products. Please submit an application for pre-approval or for support, please contact a program representative by sending us an email.

I represent a non-profit organization. Do I need to have an audit completed through the Non-Profit Energy Efficiency Transition Program (NEET) in order to participate? Toggle content

No. While it may be helpful for you to have a NEET audit, it is not necessary for participation in this program.

I took part in one of the Growing Forward or TAME Programs. Can I participate in this program too? Toggle content

Yes, however, please keep in mind that if you’ve previously received a rebate for product(s) under either the Next Agricultural Policy Framework (NPF) or TAME programs you can’t also get a rebate for the same product(s) under Business Energy Savings.

Application Information

What is a site inspection and when will it occur? Toggle content

Site inspections are performed to ensure that equipment that was claimed for rebates has been completely installed. Inspections will include checks to ensure that the product types and quantities installed exactly match the equipment identified in the application.

Site inspections will be scheduled after equipment is installed. Site inspections are required for all applications of $15,000 or more in rebates, and will also be performed for other randomly sampled applications of less than $15,000. Energy Efficiency Alberta reserves the right to inspect any project prior to issuing a rebate cheque.

When did the program launch? Toggle content

The program launched May 18, 2017 and changes were made effective July 10, 2018.

How long does it take to get my rebate? Toggle content

From the time we receive all of the necessary information required to process the application, it takes approximately 20 business days for processing and cheques to be issued. If any of the required information was omitted or incorrect, or the application is incomplete, processing may be delayed. Energy Efficiency Alberta recommends submitting an online application to help ensure the process moves quickly.

Can I check on the status of my application? Toggle content

Yes, applications can be checked online at Energy Efficiency Alberta’s website or by calling our call centre at 1-844-357-5604.

How long is a pre-approval valid? Toggle content

Pre-approval reservations are valid for up to six months from the date that the approval is granted. Applicants will receive an email acknowledging application approval.

Is there a cap on incentives? Toggle content

Total incentives are limited to $25,000 per facility per year. Parent companies are eligible to receive a maximum incentive of $100,000 per year for all of their facilities.

Are there any exceptions to the $25,000 per site ID? Toggle content

Yes. Please see the following exceptions:

  • Organizations with multiple buildings on the same property will be treated as if their properties are all separate facilities, and therefore may be eligible to receive up to $25,000 for each building despite only having a single site ID.
  • Tenants sharing a building (either horizontally in a strip mall or mall, or vertically in a high-rise) may each be able to qualify for up to $25,000 for their space.
  • Landlords/owners can’t claim more than $25,000 in a single enclosed building on behalf of the tenants despite metre numbers. Therefore, buildings with multiple site IDs qualify only as a single building.
  • In a case where tenants and landlords are responsible for separate components of a building, each would be able to upgrade their component of the building for up to the $25,000 rebate. For example, if a strip mall had 3 units where the tenants paid electricity but the landlord paid for gas heating, each tenant could apply for up to $25,000 for their unit, but the landlord would also be able to upgrade the heating system to a maximum of $25,000 for the building.

Parent organizations are limited to $100,000 for all their facilities.

What is a parent organization? Toggle content

Large corporations with common ownership and multiple facilities, can apply for up to $100,000. Individual franchises within an organization will be treated as individual businesses and can apply for up to $25,000 per facility.

I would like to submit more than one application for a single site ID. Is this OK? Toggle content

Yes, if you don’t exceed $25,000 per year you can stage your applications, or submit one through your HVAC contractor and one through your Lighting Contractor as an example.

I have a property with two buildings each with a unique site ID can I combine them into one application? Toggle content

No, in this case 2 separate applications will be required – one for each site ID.

How do I check on the application(s) I have submitted? Toggle content

Once you login, click on ‘Manage Applications’ at the top of the screen.

How can I properly dispose of old products? Toggle content

This information is applicable to the following types of lighting:

  • Fluorescent Tubes
  • CFL Bulbs
  • Metal Halide
  • Sodium Vapour Lamps
  • Mercury Vapour Lamps


These categories of lighting contain varying amounts of mercury and phosphor powder (with cadmium mixed with the phosphor). These heavy metals are toxic to humans, wildlife and can contaminate our landfills and waterways.

Current Status of Waste Classification:

Under current regulations with the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, these materials are not considered as hazardous waste in Alberta and not regulated. However, a new bill, Bill C-238, was introduced in February 2017 that will federally regulate the disposal of these wastes for all provinces. Bill C-238 will require provincial and territorial governments to develop a strategy for the safe disposal of lamps containing mercury that includes:

(a) The establishment of national standards for the safe disposal of such lamps;

(b) The establishment of guidelines regarding facilities for safe disposal; and

(c) The creation of a plan to promote public awareness of the importance of those lamps being disposed of safely.

As of October 19, 2018, Bill C-238 has received Royal Assent and is, or will soon become, law.

Available Disposal Services:

Several communities throughout Alberta offer commercial and residential drop off and disposal services for these waste products. Several waste management companies throughout the province offer recycling services including the pick-up of waste.

Recycling Council of Alberta Hotline can assist you in finding appropriate waste disposal options in your community for lamps containing mercury. These recycling or disposal options are recommended to ensure for health and safety and to protect the environment.